Frequently Asked Questions
- What forms & waivers are required and where can i locate them?
- All forms are included in your Prep Packet and includes rental gear deposit, minor release, waiver liability and discipline policy, and health history.
- Do you provide snorkeling gear and wetsuits?
- Yes. A cash gear deposit of $30 will be required upon boarding the vessel from each participant. Deposits will be returned at the end of camp, providing there are no deductions for lost gear. See the form in the prep packet.
Q: What time should I arrive at Southern California Marine Institute?
A: Arrival Time: 9:00 am please do not arrive early. Check in is 9:15 am – 9:45 am. The Enhydra Boat is docked at 820 S. Seaside Avenue, Terminal Island, CA 90731 located behind the SCMI building. Please find parking on the street and follow the MSA signs and staff. Please do not enter or park in the parking lot as it is private.
- Are cell phones allowed during camp?
- No. Phones and electronic devices are not allowed at camp so campers can enjoy the environment. We will collect any electronic devices at orientation. Please have your child bring a camera for pictures.
Q: Can I send mail to my child while they are away at camp?
A: Yes, parents may mail letters to their children. Letters to children should be mailed to the PO BOX below with your child’s name, c/o MSA, P.O. BOX 950 San Pedro, CA 90733. Letters must arrive 5 Days prior to camp departure. We recommend delivering letters to MSA at registration. Please no CARE PACKAGES allowed.
A: How will medications be treated?
Q: Medication must be in the original pharmacy bottle with detailed instructions. We must see a doctor’s written prescription on the container. All medication bottles must be stored in a ziplock bag with the participant’s name clearly written. Do not pack medication in luggage. You will be turning in all medications at the registration table. Upon return, medications will be given to you at check out.
Q: Who do I call in the event of an emergency?
A: In the case of an emergency, protocol for incoming communication is as follows:
Parents – contact our office during regular business hours: (310) 519-3172 Anything emergency after hours, please contact:
- Chad Wycoff at (949) 285-5008
Please, no phone calls from parents unless there is an emergency.